LOCAL COMMUNITY TO HAVE A SAY ON NEW SCHOOL NAME
The local community is being invited to have their say in naming the new specialist school opening in Endeavour Hills in 2022, as consultation on naming 11 government schools gets under way across the state.
Member for Dandenong, Gabrielle Williams, announced that the Victorian Government is seeking the community’s input to help find a name for the new school that reflects its unique identity, inspires local pride and makes the school easily locatable.
The new school which is currently known by an interim name, Endeavour Hills Specialist School, is set to open in 2022.
The two options for Endeavour Hills Specialist School are:
- Endeavour Hills Specialist School – proposed because the school is located in Endeavour Hills.
- Casey Specialist School – proposed because the school is located in the City of Casey
People can vote for their preferred name, add alternative suggestions and provide feedback via an online survey on Engage Vic: https://engage.vic.gov.au/.
To complete the online surveys, visit: 2022 New Schools naming: https://engage.vic.gov.au/2022-new-schools-school-naming
The surveys close on June 25.
The 11 schools being named, currently known by their interim names, are:
- Bridge Road (Melton) Primary School
- Grasslands (Deanside) Primary School
- Clyde North Station Primary School
- Clyde North Station Secondary College
- Endeavour Hills Specialist School
- Fishermans Bend Secondary School
- Greenvale Secondary School
- Kalkallo Common Primary School
- Wollert East Primary School
- Oberon South Primary School (existing school, rename)
- Niddrie Autistic School (existing school resulting from a de-merger)
The shortlisted names for each school were identified by a Regional Advisory Group, based on factors including public interest, relevance to the local area, and the consideration of local indigenous languages.
In the past seven years, the Victorian Government has invested more than $10.9 billion in building new schools and more than 1,700 school upgrades, creating around 13,500 jobs in construction and associated industries. It is now ahead of schedule in its commitment to open 100 new schools by 2026, with 62 new schools opening between 2019 and 2024.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Education, James Merlino
“Right across the state we’re building new schools to make sure that no matter where they live, every child has the chance to get a great education.”
Quote attributable to Gabrielle Williams, Member for Dandenong
“This is an exciting step for our local community and marks a milestone in establishing an identity for this brand new state of the art specialist school.”
Quote attributable to Luke Donnellan, Member for Narre Warren North
“We want to give all communities the opportunity to play a meaningful role in shaping the identity and future of their local new school, and ensure each school reflects the unique character of its local community.”